What is a claim suit?
It is an opportunity for the claimant to demand from the court to decide upon a dispute between the claimant and respondent.
Where should I file my claim suit?
In the Case Registry Office of the Basic Court or relevant branch thereof.
Can the Court help in clarifying my claim suit?
No. You must fill in a claim suit form yourself, or hire an attorney.
I have had a dispute at court, and I did not win the case. Can I file complaint against the Judge?
However, should you claim you lost your case due to negligence, or failure in exercising Judge’s functions in an impartial and independent manner, you may file a complaint with the President of the Court in which such judge serves.
What does inappropriate/unethical conduct of a judge mean?
Inappropriate/unethical conduct of a judge is any action that discredits the position and figure of a judge, and the image of the judicial system in Kosovo. Such conduct may include:
– Final conviction for a criminal offence, apart from minor offences as provided by law;
– Negligence and failure in exercising Judge’s functions in an impartial and independent manner
– Violation of the Code of Conduct and Professional Behavior
Where can I complain for misconduct of a Judge?
Natural and legal persons may file a complaint against a judge or prosecutor in relation with an allegation for disciplinary offense to the:
– President of the Basic Court or the Court of Appeals, in which such judge may serve, in case of allegations of disciplinary offenses of such judge;
– President of the Supreme Court, in case of allegations for disciplinary offenses of Presidents of Basic Courts and the President of the Court of Appeals;
– Kosovo Judicial Council, in cases of allegations for disciplinary offenses of the President of the Supreme Court;
– Natural persons may also file complaints against a judge with the Institution of Ombudsperson
How can I obtain a certificate of clean criminal record from the Court?
- By personal appearance in the Court, or
- By applying for such certificate in the Judiciary Website, in this link.
What documents do I need to obtain a certificate of no conviction?
- For the necessary documentation and other instructions on such certificate, please visit the following link.
What does the Case Management Office do?
The Case Management Office (CMO) enables timely and transparent case processing, and is responsible for the movement of cases within the court, from registration and to completion. This includes: receipt and recording of all documents, case completion, flow management for the cases in the court, archiving, etc.
Is there a fee for a claim suit and how much is the fee?
The majority of court fees, based on proceedings initiated, may be found in the “Info for Litigants” in the following link.
Which are the methods of payment acceptable to the court?
Court fees and levies may be paid
- Cash at hand, for amounts of up to five (5) Euros.
- Wire transfer, using the data in the payment slip given by the Court
Are court sessions public?
Are court rulings public?
Yes, court rulings are public, with the exception of cases, the publication of which is prohibited by law.
When can I see court rulings published?
Published rulings in the Court website.
How can I contact the court for organized (group) visits in the Court?
For visits to the Court, please contact the Court Information Office.
What are the working hours in the Court?
The Basic Court in Prishtina, and its branches, are open from Monday to Friday, from 08.00 to 16:00 hrs.
The lunch break is between 12:00 – 13:00 hrs.
The on-duty system operates twenty-four/seven.
How can I contact the court for any information on the status of my case?
Please contact the Court Information Office.